Saturday, March 16, 2013

My First Recipe--Green Chili Chicken and Potato soup


As a kid, my mom and I would go to a restaurant in my home town called The Camp Robber. They serve the most amazing Green  Chili Chicken and Potato Soup. Even today, when visiting my mom, we make it a priority to stop at the Camp Robber for a bowl of their soup. 

Today I attempted my own rendition of the soup, using some help from my mom who did the leg work. On a closeness scale (to the original) of 1-10, I give it a 9. This is a great meal, and you can adjust the spices to your liking. 

On the note of spices, I learned a "what not to do." The spice mixture I used, which I picked up from Sprouts, contained red pepper flakes. So, I prepped my chicken just like I would any other day--lube it up with some EVOO, and then I added the spice. I washed my hands (any good cook knows you HAVE to wash after handling raw chicken), and put my chicken pieces on my grill plate. That was my mistake. The red pepper flakes emitted a very fragrant odor--which caused a lot of sneezing, coughing and general chaos. Thus a word of caution, when cooking with chilies, it is a good idea to cook on an outside grill, to avoid noxious gases which may result from the heat. 

So, now for my first ever recipe--copy righted to myself, and my mom. Please try and enjoy! Comment below if you have any questions. 
You should let it simmer after you've added the roux, probably about 20 minutes, but the longer the better. However, do not leave it unattended. You should stir it every now and then to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom. 



3 red potatoes 
Olive oil
Foil
4 small chicken breast 
Taco spices (for a kick, add about a tablespoon of red pepper flakes) 
1-2 cups flour 
1 stick butter
 32oz chicken stock
2 cups water
2 cans green Chilies 
1tsp white pepper
Salt to taste


Heat oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle olive oil on each potato, and wrap in foil.  Bake at 425 for 30 minutes or more. 
Serve in a bowl, add a dollop of sour cream, and a tortilla. You might also
serve with a few blue corn tortilla chips for some added texture. 

Prep chicken, by drizzling with olive oil and adding spices.  Grill chicken outside until done, about 5-10 mins per side. Set aside to cool. 

Meanwhile, bring 32 oz stock and 2 cups water to boil. In separate pan make a roux with flour and butter, the consistency should be thick, almost like oatmeal.  Add roux to stock and stir.  Dice up the chicken and chop up the potatoes.  Add to stock.  Add green Chillies from can, and simmer on a low heat. 

Serve with a dollop of sour cream, and a tortilla.  Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. Been to Camp Robbers once and had their soup. AMAZING!! I will be trying your recipe but what size can of green chiles??? Mild? Med? Hot?

    ReplyDelete