Monday, November 4, 2013

Sausage and Wild Rice Casserole

"Is that chinese food?" you might ask. No, that is my mom's sausage and wild rice casserole.

 Casseroles are not something you see on many menus anymore. I can understand it, but this is one that everyone will enjoy, unless you don't eat pork, or don't like the mixture of different items.

The sausage wild rice casserole recipe came from my mom. I'm not really sure how she came across it, so if you happen to be the owner of the recipe, please accept my sincerest thanks.

I remember when my mom would make this dish, and how much I loved it as a kid. The ingredients are simple, but the flavor combination is fantastic. This is one of the many dishes I had as a kid which starred a specific ingredient over and over: Cream of Mushroom Soup. Personally, I keep on average 2-3 cans on hand.

So, here is a recipe from my home to yours. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Here are the ingredients:

1 package Uncle Ben's Original Wild Rice (I actually get the fast cook version. It tastes the same, and doesn't require 30 minutes to cook!)
1 pound sausage (I like spicier sausages, but then again, I like spice!)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup chopped onion (this ended up being about all of a small onion, then again, I like onion!)
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/4 cup chopped celery (about one long sprig)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 qt. casserole dish. Cook the rice according to directions, and brown the sausage; drain the sausage. Combine the sausage and rice, along with the remaining ingredients. Bake in preheated oven for one (1) hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment